Thursday, February 12, 2009

Me of the Day

Likes: Sleep, puppies, feeling competent at life

Dislikes: Life, when puppies pee indoors, the feeling of never having enough sleep

If I were Queen for the Day: I would abolish any occasion where there is undue pressure to Be Happy. Happiness happens on its own terms, people. With every major holiday and event, you will have at least some portion of the population who choose not to partake simply because the stakes have become too high, the pressure to much, the overhype too overhyped. New Years is never as good as New Years should be, Birthdays are never...oooh, don't get me started on Birthdays.

My most memorable Bad Birthday was my sweet sixteen. I was a month into my exchange to Thailand, had been attacked the week before right outside of my house, and shortly thereafter caught dengue fever, lost 10 pounds in two days, was admitted to a third world hospital where I lay under the close supervision of creepy Thai businessmen who cared. In an attempt to cheer me up, they brought a birthday muffin decorated with candles which lit my hair on fire.

Please...no more birthdays.

No comments: